The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

A Bloomington woman has been arrested for drunk driving and leaving the scene of an accident after she apparently struck a pedestrian and then fled the scene. Police officers followed up with eye witnesses who said that the vehicle struck a pedestrian at the intersection of Third Street and Patterson Drive, and then drove off down a side street.

During the investigation, deputies from the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office were sent to a home on West Evergreen regarding a vehicle with extensive damage to the windshield. Police interviewed Dishman, who initially denied hitting anyone or even driving.

Police continued to interview Dishman who displayed signs she was intoxicated. After continued questioning, Dishman admitted she struck someone and left the scene. According to the police report, she left because she thought she was wanted on warrants.

It’s terrible to think that someone would be so uncaring about a fellow human being. Obviously, our thoughts are with the victim in this case and we hope that he has a full and speedy recovery. I have scene a number of such cases in my practice. For whatever reason, people sometimes panic after an accident and try to run away from it.

If you are the victim of a hit and run accident, there are certain things you need to do. Obviously, get whatever medical attention you need first. Make sure that the incident is reported to both the police AND your insurance company. The police will obviously do whatever they can to try and identify who the driver was. Fortunately, in this instance, they were able to get enough information to track the person down and charge her with both drunk driving and leaving the scene.

If for whatever reason, the wrongdoer cannot be identified, your own insurance policy will often have "uninsured motorist coverage." The whole purpose uninsured motorist coverage is to protect you from someone who either does not have insurance or who flees the scene and cannot be identified. You will need to turn all bills for property damage and medical expenses in to your insurance so that they can be paid.

Your uninsured motorist coverage is there to pay all the damages that the wrongdoer and/or his insurance would have had to pay you. This includes your property damage, medical expenses, and lost wages. It also includes compensation for the for the physical injuries you suffered – which is compensation beyond your lost wages and medical bills. If the person who caused the accident is later identified, your insurance will have a right to pursue them for what is called "subrogation," which is a legal term for reimbursement of whatever amount of money they pay out for your damages.

It would be good to check with your insurance agent now to make sure you have proper coverage in the event that something terrible like this happens.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest