An ongoing foodborne illness outbreak, since March, is now coming to light and the FDA warns consumers to discard any Veggie Booty snacks they have in their home.
“This stuff is good for you,” says a cartoon character on the company’s home page but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers not to eat Veggie Booty snack food, marketed by Robert’s American Gourmet. The agency says the product may be contaminated with Salmonella Wandsworth, bacteria that cause gastrointestinal illness.
Veggie Booty snacks are generally consumed by children, parents should watch their children and seek medical care immediately if they notice any signs of illness.
The warning was issued based on 52 reports of illness across 17 states, starting in March. The majority of illnesses have occurred in children younger than 10, with most being toddlers. Most of the reports had bloody diarrhea and four were hospitalized.
On June 27, the FDA learned of the outbreak from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which had conducted an investigation of the illnesses with state and local health officials.
Typically Salmonella poisoning causes diarrhea; often with abdominal cramps and fever. Symptoms usually begin within one to four days following exposure. In persons with poor health and underlying conditions and infants, Salmonella can invade the bloodstream and cause a life-threatening infection.
States reporting illnesses include: California (seven cases), Colorado (five cases), Connecticut (one case), Georgia (one case), Indiana (one case), Massachusetts (three cases), Minnesota (two cases), New Hampshire (two cases), New Jersey (two cases), New York (13 cases), Oregon (one case), Pennsylvania (three cases), Tennessee (one), Texas (one), Vermont (three cases), Washington (four cases), and Wisconsin (two cases).