As of Friday, there have been 278 reported cases of people becoming ill after eating hummus at the Taste of Chicago food festival believed to have salmonella bacteria contamination, the health department said.
The Chicago Department of Health has confirmed 32 reported cases of illness caused by salmonella poisoning. Officials expect that number to increase after they receive pending test results. Twelve people have been hospitalized to date, officials said.
Officials said, cucumber salad was the only dish connected to the salmonella outbreak. All reported illnesses came from people that ate at the Pars Cove Persian Cuisine booth.
The health department ordered Pars Cove to stop serving hummus until further notice. The restaurant is cooperating with the health department’s investigation.
It was the first confirmed outbreak of a food-borne illness associated with the Taste of Chicago in at least 20 years, the health department said in a release. The 10-day outdoor festival, which ended Sunday, brings out food from more than 70 restaurants and concerts.